Setting up Delayed Read archives from Houdini for RenderMan.
Houdini & RenderMan
Date Created:Friday December 29th, 2006 03:41 AM
Date Modified:Friday August 01st, 2008 02:59 AM
Setting up Delayed Read archives from Houdini
1) On the Geometry Object, navigate to the Render tab, and make sure that you have the Geometry parameter set to "Render as is".
2) Use an Archive ROP to render the geometry to a .rib
3) Go back into your Geometry Object, and place a Box SOP after the final node. Keep the display flag on the final node, NOT the box.
4) Navigate back to the Geometry Object's render tab, and change the Geometry parameter to "Bounded File (explicit bounds)".
5) Use the file browser to locate the .rib that contains the geometry.
6) Then using the bbox() expression, we can reference our Box SOP that we used inside of the geometry to reference our bounds.
7) Last, but not least, use a RenderMan ROP to render out the final RIB.
The new rib should have a line similar to:
Procedural "DelayedReadArchive" ["./archiveSphere.rib"] [-1 1 -1 1 -1 1]